Sigfox plans expansion in USA
March 22, 2018
This year, French LPWAN provider Sigfox plans to expand its network in the USA following a successful 2017.
In 2017, Sigfox focused its growth strategy on densifying the network in key regional markets and expanding its partner ecosystem. With this strategy, it achieved over a 50 per cent increase in coverage in the USA and a 45 per cent increase in its partner ecosystem. In just two years since entering the US market, Sigfox has coverage in 24 out of the 25 top metropolitan markets including a quarter of the US population.
Achievements in 2017 included:
- Doubled coverage in Seattle and San Francisco Bay area;
- Tripled coverage in greater Chicago market and Boston;
- Expanded coverage into 15 new markets including Seattle, South Florida’s Gold Coast, Minneapolis, St Louis, Philadelphia, San Diego, Washington DC, New Orleans and San Juan;
- Secured university campus partnerships with the University of Buffalo and Northeastern University, in addition to existing campus partnership with the University of Chicago for use in academia research and education;
- Opened an office in Dallas as the hub for the US network team;
- Covered over 40 of the 50 busiest US airports; and
- Closed a deal to provide access to 80,000 site locations to support nationwide network deployment.
“We’re excited by our accomplishments in 2017, and are looking ahead with a focus on steadily deploying our network, while driving specific use cases within key regional markets,” said Christian Olivier, president of Sigfox in the USA. “We’ll concentrate on areas where we can provide low cost, energy efficient connectivity to a wide range of assets, such as asset monitoring, asset tracking and facilities management.”
To better serve the needs of the US market, Sigfox focused on the expansion of its ecosystem partnerships, driving 45 per cent growth over last year. Partners span across semiconductors, devices, device design houses, platforms and system integrators bringing IoT services to end customers.
Sigfox, with its ecosystem of partners, successfully completed pilots across many use cases including smart cities, asset tracking, agriculture and food monitoring including a large arena monitoring the temperature of its industrial freezer and refrigeration units. Other use cases included hospitality to enhance services and customer satisfaction in major hotel chains, resorts and casinos, and a large theme park in preparation for volume deployment.
“The quality and efficiency of Sigfox network allows Outfront Media to remotely monitor the functionality of lighting systems on our billboards in the USA,” said Pete Izzo, SVP at Outfront Media. “We’ve installed light sensors on our billboards in San Diego and Los Angeles, which alert our operations team to outages and allows us to keep inspection costs down while delivering a better quality product to our advertising customers.”
Globally, the Sigfox network now reaches over 803 million people worldwide and continues to grow by 30 million each month. Six million objects will be connected to the Sigfox network by the end of 2018. Today, the network is present in 45 countries and on track to cover 60 by 2018.
Founded in 2010 by Ludovic Le Moan and Christophe Fourtet, the company is headquartered in Labège near Toulouse, France. Sigfox also has offices in Paris, Madrid, Munich, Boston, San Francisco, Dubai, Singapore, Sao Paulo and Tokyo.