Digi reveals details of next three cellular modems
September 7, 2017
Digi has unveiled the features and capabilities powering its latest three XBee cellular modems.
The Minnesota company is planning three more variants to its line: XBee Cellular gen two modem for the AT&T Cat 1 cellular network; XBee Cellular LTE–M; and XBee Cellular NB-IoT.
These modems will include the following upgrades and features:
- Programmability: Local intelligence programmed on the modem itself. Rules engines and application logic can transform data, control local IO, connect to Bluetooth sensors, actively manage use of the cellular link, and optimise cellular data plans.
- Full USB support: Supports range of applications, from basic to more complex Linux-based applications and systems; direct USB communications for apps with native control requirements.
- Bluetooth ready: Bluetooth Low Energy and Bluetooth Mesh connectivity. Allows simple and quick local setup, provisioning and troubleshooting capabilities using modern mobile phones and tablets.
- Manageability features: Supports robust OTA firmware upgrades, Digi's RF management and configuration tool Digi XCTU, and remote management through Digi Remote Manager.
- Security: Hardened with built-in Digi TrustFence device security.
They provide device manufacturers with integration flexibility and the ability to standardise on one module platform and single hardware footprint across products, applications and cellular networks for everything from relatively simple local applications to complex, global deployments.
"Fully pre-certified across key carriers, our next-generation Digi XBee Cellular smart modems deliver a platform offering complete design freedom for cellular IoT connectivity integration from LTE Cat 1 all the way to LTE-M and NB-IoT LPWAN technology," said Mike Rohrmoser, senior director at Digi. "The Digi XBee platform has been built on over a decade of wireless expertise. This creates an entirely new class of connected smart end nodes based on the one and only proven Digi XBee platform."
Arrow Electronics has selected Digi XBee Cellular LTE-M for its LTE-M starter kit.